Question
Posted by: Joanne Kobben | 2010/05/19

Back Pain

I was diagnosed with a prolapsed disc in my lower back a couple of years ago. Since the beginning of this year a joined a fitness group called curves. It has been going very well, and I have lost weight and getting fitter and my back was not hurting me. I recently joined a yoga class at the beginning of May this year. I have not been having a problem with my back of late, however when I joined the yoga I began to experience extreme lower back pain again. At first it only hit me in the evenings (Ido yoga in the mornings), but now it is all day. Is this normal when starting yoga? Should I continue with it? My Doctor did advise me to do stength exercises, but the yoga is really hurting me!
I would really appreicate it if you could assist me, as my Doctor is away at the moment.

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

your back was doing so well before starting with the yoga that i would advise you to refrain from the yoga for the moment. Some of the yoga exercises can certainly aggravate a pre-existing back problem and rather do the gentle activities you were exposed to before at Curves

1
Posted by: Orthopaedic Specialist Forum | 2010/05/21

Reply to Orthopaedic Specialist Forum