Question
Posted by: hikerman | 2009-06-02

Back Pain

I am 66 y.o.a and a keen hiker (day trips only / once a week) but lately find that on a steep or strenuous stretch I start experiencing pain in my upper back / lower neck. My backpack is not very heavy usually just about 1.5 liters of liquids, a small lunch pack, a sweater or jacket, a small medical kit, groundsheet and one or two other little items for emergency use. I always walk looking down to avoid tripping and my neck is therefor pulling forward &  down. I'  m not sure if the pain is caused by this or perhaps some sort of spinal problem but if I rest for a while leaning and stretching backwards it does give some relief although it will pick up again after I continue walking. It has been suggested that maybe my backpack is too heavy for me but in comparison to some fellow hikers my pack is quite light. Do you have any ideas or suggestions for me, please. Thanks.

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Hikerman,

you should have your neck examined as it sounds as if the cervical spine may play a role in causing your pain. It would also be a good idea to have an X-ray of your neck. The little joints behind the vertebrae (facet joints) can cause symptoms as you describe

Regards,

Dr Joe de Beer