Posted by: Paul | 2009-05-26

Back Pain

I have been recently suffering with constant back pain and when I went to the docs I had x rays which shows that the space between my 5th and 6th (counting from bottomn up) vertebre is none existant it looks like bone on bone .
question What are my best options.
Thanks Paul..

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Paul
The x-rays basically show that you have wear and tear changes (osteo-arthritis) in the back. Most of us get this at some or other stage, depending on the type of activity we have participated in over the years. Surgery would be the absolute last option and it is recommended that you stay as active as possible, but not doing high-impact exercise. Stretching exercise as well as joint-mobilising exercise like Pilates also strengthens the back and stomach muscles. If you experience severe discomfort, a course of anti-inflammatories may also help. A visit to a rheumatologist may also be a good idea.