Posted by: Sam | 2009-05-04

Back pain

Good day, for the past two months I have experienced back pain in different regions of my back. Sometimes it'  s at the sides of of lower back, sometimes in the centre. Other times it'  s at the side of upper back, sometimes in the centre. If I sit and bend forward, my chin almost touching my chest, it is really excrutiating leaving me breathless. I don'  t know it I should bend forward or lean backwards to alleviate the pain. I don'  t know how to sit, lie down. It'  s better if I stand up. Two months ago I picked up a heavy box, two weeks later I had back pain. I went to my GP who said I might have strained my back. He gave me Cataflam which helped a little, but the pain is back. Sometimes it feels if my spine is painful too, the part between my shoulder blades. I don'  t want to be on pain killers or muscle relaxers to often. What should I do? Go back to my GP for another check-up? Does it sound serious? Please help, for my discomfort is really taking its toll on my. Regards

Dear Sam
Please see a physiotherapist - you probably need to have some muscle spasms massaged out and you may need special exercises to strenghten some of the back muscles.