Posted by: bella | 2009-08-24

back operations

Dear Doc, I have just had my 3rd back operation in 12 months. The specialist can' t seem to get it right and after each op says that the previous operation was not successful. I have now had L4, L5 and S1 fused 3 weeks ago. He redid L4 &  L5. My problem is before I couldn' t walk or ly down because I had a trapped nerve. Now I still have a problem lying down and it feels as if my bottom is too heavy to turn. When I walk my bottoms left cheek is very sore. Is this normal or is this too soon to tell or should I phone him. I really don' t want to hassle him as I want to be as positive as possible.
Would really value your advise.
Thank you.

Hallo Bella
It is very difficult for me to give you an opinion without knowing exactly what the reason for the operation was and which nerves where affected and exactly what he did with the operation - the pain in the bottom could be referred pain from an irritated nerve root ( due to swelling maybe?) Back operations aren't easy and straight forward but I think you should let your doctor know what you are experiencing - it may be "normal" for 3 weeks after the operation. Just remember that you need to follow instructions after a back operation 100% otherwise you can undo the repair done with the operation.