Posted by: Bella | 2008-11-19

back operations

Dear Doc, I had a disc removed 8 weeks ago and didn' t recover from the operation, it felt as if the doc had sewn my hips up too tightly. Sorry but it is the only way I can explain it. After a lot of pain and explaining another specialist took on my case as the first specialist went on holiday and he found that my back was a bit of a mess. I had a broken vertabrae as well. Anyway he re-operated and fused my back. I still have nerve pain in my leg but I think it is still early days since it is only 2½  weeks since the 2nd op.
I am a 50 year old woman and have had a bone density test about 12 months ago and it showed that I was border line. I still feel as if my hips have been sewn up too tightly so when I walk I get hip pain and if I lie in bed too long I get back ache. I have a good new bed as well designed for people with back problems.
I am taking Lyrika and Neurobion for the nerve and a multivitamin. Is there anything else I should be taking and do you think I should be talking to the specialist about the hip pain I am experiencing?
Thanks very much.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Bella
You should definitely ask your specialist about any pai or symptoms that worry you. In addition you should also ask about exercise and physiotherapy because the longer you stay immobile, the more bone density you can lose. Also ensure a diet rich in protein, vitamins and minerals such as calcium and magnesium to help speed up the healing process.
I do thinl the fact that you have had 2 operations in such a short space of time also causes a bit more discomfort. Any idea how the vertebrae fractured or was it a result of the previous operation?