Question
Posted by: Henk | 2009/11/16

Back muscle pain

Dear doc,

Thank you for reading this.

I am in emmence pain here. My right back shoulder is in agony. I gym about 6 times a week, hard sessions. It' s a way of life for me as I live in a country that has no outdoor life unfortunately. I direct sessions toward two muscle groups per session, rotating about 8 like legs and arms, or back and shoulders per session etc.

You know the pain when you have slept and wake up with your neck in pain. If I tilt my head toward 4 O' clock and backward it is so sore. I think it could be from working delts, shoulders in an upward way and also shoulders toward the back.

I' ve allways had knots in that area but this is toward the neck aswell.

How do I get rid of the pain other then pain killers. I fear Nurofen is taking the pain away but won' t fix the muscle? I' m about to go to the local doctor here it is so sore...

Please advise...

Henk

Hi Henk

You're right about Nurofen. You're treating the symptom, but doing nothing to the actual cause, and so that's a short term answer, at best. You need to understand the cause. It sounds, from your description, that you're looking at some neural issue, which is why putting your neck in certain positions causes your pain. I would guess that you've strained a muscle, or maybe even hurt a disc through training. That's something you need to have assessed, and a physio would be able to do that, I would think. Not sure if you have access, but that would be my immediate advice. You've probably just overstepped the limit in your training, and now you need to back off the load on the upper body, and have it treated by someone, and then return. I don't think it's serious, but certainly important to have looked at before you continue training.

2
Posted by: Martin | 2009/12/14

I think you just have a more serious case of what I had recently. Though my neck pains were not as constant as the spasms in around my shoulder blades. I try to gym as hard as possible 4 days a week, and cardio once or twice a week as well.

A physio went over my back which at first hurt it more, but now it is fine, but I also had to stretch it more before and after training. Stretches I got from the phisio specific to that area. So, stretch

Reply to Martin
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2009/11/21

Hi Henk

Reply to fitnessdoc