Posted by: Zizi | 2009-10-28

Back muscle jolts / spasms

I often suffer from sudden muscle spasms which feels like electrical jolts that travel from my lower back right up to the back of my neck, these usually disturb my sleep as they start as soon as I lie down, they sometimes even carry on even though I am on an upright, sitting position, depening on the intensity.

Can you please tell me what causes this and what treatment is available as this is hugely frustrating especially when it affects my sleep.

Expert ImageChiroDoc

Hi Zizi
You need to be examined by a chiropractor to determine the extent and reason for your discomfort. A thorough case history and physical examination - especially of your spine is necessary. A course of treatment and certain exercises, as well as postural information and advice on sleeping habits - the correct bed etc may also be included.