Posted by: Stella | 2009-07-07

Back Injury

Dear Doc,
I hurt my back last year when I fell on my knees. I underwent cortisone treatment to relieve the tension. I am seeing a biokineticist at the moment, but I feel she' s overcharging me for a few stretch exercises. Unfortunately I don' t have money to return to her, so I would appreciate your advise regarding exercises for my back. The problem is in the lower back.

Hi Stella

I'm afraid it's very difficult to give advice on a back injury over the internet. In fact, it's impossible. The biokineticist you were with may well have been overcharging you, but she would at least have gained an idea of your problem, and should have been able to direct you in what you could do. There is nothing stopping you from contacting her, as the person who treated you, and asking to prescribe exercises you can do at home. Certainly, the stretching exercises she was doing with you should probably be continued. But I am surprised that she hasn't given you some indication of what is next - maybe some strength work, maybe getting into a gym. That's somethig you have to ask her about, and she should help out given that you've been a client in the past. But I'd be guessing completely if I tried to give advice, and I might even give you bad advice, so it's best to speak to her.

Sorry to pass the buck, but knowledge is everything in injury treatment, and she has it from treating you so far