Posted by: Deedee | 2008-12-16

Back flower remedies- dogs

Does bach flower remedies work on animals and is it safe, esp rescue remedy. I have 10 year old Jack Russel that has been moody, aggresive, very stressed and will snap bite with out warning his whole life. Vets usuall pretend to run away or act busy if he walks in at the door. Do you think might help?

Dear Deedee

The flower remedy is preserved in brandy. If you give enough it should relax anything.

Posted by: Chill | 2008-12-17

Rescue remedy is perfectly safe for dogs, and many people swear by it.

If you' re wanting to calm the dog down for a specific purpose, like a vet visit, I' d also recommend valerian, which you can give either in a tablet (such as becalm, or calmettes), or in drops (tincture of valerian - some chemists/health food shops) - if you use the tincture, give him about 10 drops in a tiny bit of water, and squirt it down with a syringe (it doesn' t taste nice!).

All of the above are quite harmless - I had a dog on valerian long-term once, to curb aggression - it worked very well.

Reply to Chill