Posted by: Worried | 2008-11-24

Back and lower back pain

Hi, I have this pain on my back as well as on my lower back. I feel more pain when I sit on my sofas or lying on the bed. The pain is worse when i sleep on my back. It is like i' m pinched by a very sharp object and I now realise that it is spreading to the whole back.

I don' t feel this pain when sitting on the chair. I need to mention that I also do not feel this pain when sleeping on my mother' s bed and her bed is older than mine.

After buying this bed they (furniture shop) sprayed it with master guard. I do not know if it is the cause but my sofas are leather sofas they also give the same problem such that I do not enjoy sitting on them anymore because the pain just become too intense.

I never had this problem when I had my first child. I had this problem after I had my second child. I had epidural. Could it be the cause. What can I do because most doctors do not see anything wrong on x-rays.

Expert ImageArchive

Firstly x-rays only show bone and not other soft tissues.
Causes of your back pain can not be confirmed or negated until a proper examination and history. I would recommend seeing your local osteopath. for more information on osteopathy visit
Epidural involvement is unlikely although on rare occasions this may be a contributing factor.
Physiological and structural changes do occur with each successive pregnancy

Dr Guy Ashburner Osteopath