Posted by: JB | 2011-09-12

Back &  leg Problems

I’ ve been having lower back pain for the past 3 weeks, and recently for the past week my left leg started going numb, needles and pins, and a constant cold feeling I even feel a temprature differenece with the shower water.

I went for an MRI scan, and according to my doctor there’ s nothing wrong, but the way I read the report there is a small problem.

“ Sagittal T2 weighted study reveals degenerative signal loss in relation to the L4/5 disc. Normal conus medullaris identified. Lumbar vertebral body shows essentially normal signal pattern.

Axial studies reveal a small central disc prolapse with no specific root impingement. Bilateral facet joint effusions are noted.
At the remaining lumbar disc levels no clinically significant disc lesion is identified. There is however a small right paracentral disc herniation at the T12/L1 level which accounts for some lateral recess narrowing. This may impinge the right L1 nerve root in the recess and should be correlated clinically. No significant foraminal or recess narrowing identified.

No clinically significant disc lesion identified. Small paracentral T12/L1 disc herniation with right recess narrowing and possible impingement of right L1 nerve root” 

Can you please give me your opinion?

Thank you &  Regards

Expert ImageOsteopath

Hello JB,
Your MRI reports a degenerative thoracolumbar spine, which means there will be varying levels of inflammation which could then effect more sensitive structures such as nerves which may result in pain and dysfunction of the lower back and neurological symptoms of the lower extremities. Your options are to either consult with an orthopedic surgeon for another opinion or if you prefer a more conservative route please consult with an osteopath in your area.