Posted by: Penelope | 2011-09-26

Back ache

I wake up during the night with back ache. It seems to be mid to lower back and feels like its the spine sort of a stiffness feeling. Once I am up in the morning I don''t have any pain. I sleep on a good mattress but tend to sleep on one side until I wake up in and turn over. I also get this pain if I walk for long periods or stand for long periods. I am female in my late 30''s. I excercise often and do not have any pain while excercing. I have not injured my back. What is the cause of this and how do I treat it?

You are suffering from muscle spasm in your lower back and I suggest that you consult a physiotherapist for treatment and advice on strengthening your core muscles. If the pain does not subside after treatment, consult your doctor for x-rays of your lower back.