Posted by: Anon | 2009-02-23

Back ache

Good day doc,
I woke up 2 weeks ago with a terrible pain in my back. The pain travelled down my right hand side leg and I went to the doctor. He told me i had a pinched nerve and he gave me tablets for pain and something to relieve the pressure on the nerve. I' ve now finished the tablets and am still in pain. I' ve also noticed, for the last 10 days or so, a brown discharge (I thought it could be my menstruation cycle, but the timing is completely out). Should I be worried that it could be something other than a pinched nerve?
I' m 42 years old.

Dear Anon
The two symptoms may have no relationship and could be a coincidence. Pain from the uterus can sometimes give a vague pain down your legs but usually only in the upper legs. A pinched nerve will give pain down the side of the leg down to the foot sometimes and it will be sore if you lift your leg while keeping it straight. If this is the problem you may need to see a physiotherapist to try and get rid of the the muscle spasm and relieve the pressure from the disc between the vertebrae.