Question
Posted by: Rose | 2008/06/25

Back ache

When I get up in the morning my back, buttocks and back of my legs are sore and stiff. After I moved around it becomes better. It is also worse if I have been sitting for a while. I go to Gym and walk through the pain. Is it advisable and what can I do to get better. I am taking Voltaren at night but still find it difficult to turn at night. Do I have osteo artrhitis? I am 66 years old. We only have a hospital plan and our daily savings have been used for my husband who had a very big op.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Rose
Yes, it does sound as if you have a bit of osteo-arthritis. It sounds as if you're doing all the right things. Exercise remains an important part of coping with the arthritis. You can also try some Pilates exercises which just help to keep the joints more mobile and also strengthens the back and stomach muscles.
You'll probably need some x-rays at one stage just to see where the problem is, but if you can still cope for the moment, you can probably wait until your savings have kicked in again.

1
Posted by: Ntsiki | 2008/07/28

I was involed in a train accident in March, I fell off the top bunk and hit the steel table. I have the same symptoms with Rose, I am so frustrated that I can' t een go to the gym. I do exercises every morning but after work I am stiff again and sometimes in a lot of pain, what can I use?

Reply to Ntsiki