Posted by: Storm | 2012-04-20

I have a problem with lower back pain. I fell about 2 years ago at work. I was stiff and a bit of discomfort, but all went away. Last year March I fell again at work. Hurting my back, neck, elbow and wrist. My elbow and wrist healed. I went to 19 physiotherapy session. My neck or back did not get better. I was send to a neurologist who took X rays. Nothing could be seen. Went back to to physio. After few session went back to the dr. The dr. told me he''s not doing anymore WCL - so why am I here??? I told him that this was a follow up. After I told him the my right leg sometimes get num and my back (R/hand) has this pain from time to time. He told me we can do a MRI but we will not find anything. After the MRI he said I had a degenerated disc and a ''black disc''. I must go to my medical aid and get chronic pain pills. He is going to close the file. After 3 days the dr. phoned me again and said I must come back over a month just to see if the pain did not worsen. (One of his collegues said he must operate the other said no and he also says no) Not necessary. OKay - so I went back. Told him that I still have pain. (as I am sitting now writting this I have a burning pain sensation in my right back side) I also told him that I have a funny numbness feeling - associated with a funny pain - going from my left buttocks to my calf and foot. He then said it does not have a connection my problem is on my right hand side. He closed the case and said I must speak to my dr for pills. I do not have a medical aid. Now I must pay for something that wasn.t my fault - the fall. I really think there is still a problem and do not know why he closed the case. I still sit with pain in my right. The pain comes and go. There is not one day that goes by that I do not have pain in my neck or back. If I drive a long way I must climbed out of my car as if I am crippled. Walk a few steps then I am okay. Can I go for a second opinion?

Yes, you are welcome to get a second opinion. Chronic back pain can be treated with medication and surgery can alleviate the pain but must only be performed as a last resource/option. You can also make an appointment at a pain clinic at your nearest hospital.