Posted by: Boo | 2009-05-25

Hi doc its me again I am officially a somniphobic individual Im finding it difficult to even get 2 hours of sleep at night the momment Im going off to sleep I feel I will either die and never wake up or begin to dream horrible amd morbid dreams, my uncle in JHB passed away on Sunday after a long battle with cancer I wasnt very close to him though I felt sad about it this only intensified my thoughts of thinking I will die in my sleep, although I was getting panic attacks in my sleep before I feel that thats what caused all of this to start off, can you tell me wayd to deal with this and trying to sleep I know i know its irrational but some reassurance would help and some way to overcome it...

Gosh, a card-carrying Somniphobe ! I once attended one of their AGM,s, but fell asleep during the reading of the Minutes. Seriously, though, many of our most disturbing fears are inded irrational, but treatable, and you need to see and be assessed properly by a PSychiatrist, to clarify the diagnosis and identify the most useful treatments to clear this up. This should probably include CBT style counselling and perhaps some carefully chosen medication.

I think dying in your sleep could be a peaceful way to go in comparison to other ways to go so there is now better wat to be united with your God. Maybe you could ask your phyciatrist for 7.5g of Z-Dorm to fall asleep and when you wake after a nightmare or panic attack you could take a purata then you could just wean yourself when things go better, I' ve weaned myself from the purata a while back and I slept approx. 6 hours so maybe tonight I' ll only have 0.5 sleeping tablet. Hope you feel better soon. :-)