Question
Posted by: Linda | 2011/05/12

Babysitting dog

Hi. We are currently looking after my mother''s dog (spayed cross breed female). We also have an old foxie/JR cross (neutered male). The dogs get on well with each other, have done since day one. My problem is that the guest is really spoilt. How do I get her to behave - no pushing to get through the door, going out when told to do so, etc. We will only have her with us for 6 weeks and I''m not sure how much proper training can be done in that time.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Linda, this is not an easy one as it is not your dog. Bring in the manners you expect with your own dog and apply to her as well - your mum will be thrilled when she gets back!
An easy one to do which helps with the rushing through doors is to teach the dog to sit and wait when being fed. Simply ask the dog to sit, holding the food bowl away from you, put your hand in front of the dogs nose with hand in the policeman position of 'stop'. If the dog moves, lift up the bowl and start again. When the dog waits till bowl on floor, immediately give cue to 'get it'. Slowly build up the time period and when the dog is sitting waiting reliably for about 30 seconds, then start to bring in at the doors etc,emembering to go all the way back to a few seconds and build up the time period in each new location. Thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/05/12

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert