Posted by: Ant | 2010-07-21

Baby`s Ears

Hi Doc-my 1y old baby is busy teething and has for the past 2 days been putting in her fingers inside her ear and shaking it profusely.I can say that it`s seems to be a terrible itch but could also be aching as she moans a bit when she sleeps.We were at the paed last week and there was no sign of an ear infection.She is still eating and drinking well and goes about her daily routine.Is the something safe I can use for this to ease the uncomfort?I am currently using Pansoral teething gel and Calpol for the teething.Thanks

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Ant

Your baby is suffering from referred otalgia due to teething, as your Paediatrician has confirmed the ears are normal. This is the situation where she feels pain in the ears, when in fact the pain is coming from the discomfort created by teething. This is very common, and happens due to the fact that the nerves that carry the pain signal in a certain part of the body, may have branches to other parts of the body. (In this case the ear and the jaw). By treating the pain in the oral cavity, you will control the earache (otalgia). It is important to regularly exclude the ear as the cause if her pain persists.
Your current management regime seems appropriate.