Posted by: Amber | 2012-11-16

Baby with fractured elbow

My 10 month old baby came home from daycare and after her nap we noticed she wasn''t using her arm and she cried when we touched it. It was still sore the next morning so we took her for xrays and it turns out she has a fractured elbow. Her doctor and paed say its an impact fracture from a high height. I''m really upset especially as the daycare say she didn''t fall there. I''m in 2 minds on what to do as we really like the daymother, she is kind and our baby really likes her but the fact is that she didn''t pick up that something was wrong with her and someone is not telling the truth. I''m nervous to take her out and mess up her routine and put her in a daycare with strange people she doesnt know as she is at that age where she doesn''t like strangers. We have had a meeting with the daymother to tell her how we feel and she genuinely sounds upset and I suppose we need time to get past this incident but I''m worried, I can''t stop thinking about it and feel nervous about her my baby will now get treated, her safety and if anything else has or will happen that we don''t or won''t know about.

Naturally you are upset and alarmed about this event. I guess the doctors mean that the nature of the fracture suggests this needed to be a fall from a significant height, and not a small tumble, and one would naturally worry that the day mother didn't notice the fall ( or the potential for such a fall ) or notice, as you did, what she wasn't using that arm.
Your gut feelings need to be respected.
What is the set-up at the creche - is it a single caregiver home, or are there several people working there ? Have there been any other injuries of any sort recently among other kids, and are there any recent employees she doesn't know well ?
Are there other good alternatives to care for her ? At her age she might not enjoy meeting strangers, but is probably not very attached to the people at this place, and will probably re-adapt to a new and caring setting

Posted by: Purple | 2012-11-19

Sounds like she fell off a changing mat. How could someone not notice that? Is her physical safety not more important than the concern that it may take her a few days to adapt to a new care giver?

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Amber | 2012-11-16

Thanks for your replies. Yes I too also feel i should go with my instincts. In the end that''s all i have. The day mother does have 3 helpers and 1 of them that takes care of the babies. so i think something may have happened and she is too scared to say anything in case she looses her job. I think negligence plays a part more than an accident. I think I will have a look around and see other places and if there is somewhere i feel good about and things still don''t feel right then I will have to make the change for the safety of my child.

Reply to Amber
Posted by: Nini | 2012-11-16

In the end of the day the facts are there - she has a fractured elbow, and it had to come from somewhere! If you know for sure it wasnt at home then that only leaves the daycare...

We can never be too careful when it comes to our kids - especially when they cannot answer for themselves yet.

I agree with Ella, you need to trust your gut and make a decision based on what you believe. I completely understand your fears though about a new school, new people etc...

Does the Day Mother have helpers that assist with the kids? Maybe someone isnt telling the truth and she just doesnt know about it.

Reply to Nini
Posted by: Cara | 2012-11-16

I agree with Ella.

Reply to Cara
Posted by: Ella | 2012-11-16

Personally I think you should go with what your ''gut'' says. Do you honestly feel your child is safe and well cared for there? Do you feel 100% comfortable leaving your baby there? Don''t take chances. The baby can''t speak for herself and you need to make that decision.

Reply to Ella