Posted by: mom | 2011-09-15

Baby Weight and thyroid

I have been out of excercise for about 2 years now. I carried on excercising until I was about 6mo pregnant with a few yoga classes in between. Its been difficult to get back into it with a baby and my daughter is now 18 months so really trying to make an effort to get back into a regular routine. I have put on 14kgs that I would like to loose. My eating hasnt been too bad but am struggling to lose the weight. I suspect my thyroid might be a bit underactive as I am also exhausted most of the time and my daughter is sleeping through so its not a sleep issue. Will excercise boost my metabolism and thyroid sufficiently? I am currently doing a cardio step class, 2 body con and walk run on the treadmill = 4x a week of excercise. Thanks mom

I can appreciate how difficult it must be with that change of routine happening so suddenly. It's difficult to know however, with all this different change happening, what the specific cause might be. Your fatigue may well be related to the stress/anxiety of having a baby around,and even sleeping through, that's an added "stress" that I wouldn't under-estimate.

The only way to check the suspicions about the thyroid is to have it tested by a doctor. Short of that, you're guessing a little, because as I say, everything can be explained by something else. The failure to lose weight is difficult to pin down - your diet is key, and though you say it's not too bad, it might be that to lose weight, it needs to be better than that, so you might look into that as well.

So my advice would be see a dietician (diet may address both the weight issues and the energy) and then consider a doctor, if they feel it necessary!