Question
Posted by: suene | 2003/03/09

Q.

baby swallowed amniotic fluid

Hi there. My baby was born on Monday, 3 March 2003 via caeserean section. She swallowed a large amount of amniotic fluid at birth and was in an incubator for 2 days.

Please can you provide me with information as to how and why this occurs.

MANY THANKS!

Expert's Reply

A.

Dawn's answer is correct. It should not be a serious problem.

1
user comments

C.

Posted by: Dawn | 2003/03/10

Hi there. I too had a baby by caesearan on the 03/02, and he was also in an incubator for 2 days as part of his right lung collapsed from swallowing fluid. I was told by the nurses that during natural birth, babies lungs are "squeezed out", but not with a caesar. There is no long term damage though, and although he lost quite a bit of weight (500g) he is a healthy 4kg's now at 5 weeks. Enjoy your baby.

Reply to Dawn

Want to comment?