Question
Posted by: Sassy | 2009-04-20

Baby Steps

Hi doc,

I' m trying to increase my fitness levels. I' m not over weight, just a bit flabby. Right now I' m doing a total of 30 minutes of walking every day for 5 days and I have a home aerobics DVD that I want to add, but right now I can literally do about 5 minutes of the aerobics before I get tired. I believe that I' m taking baby steps with the aerobics and with each week I' ll be able to do more and more. Am I right?

Hi Sassy

I think it's a good place to start, and yes, you should get stronger and fitter and therefore be more able to handle longer training over time.

One question is whether you're doing the aerobics after your walk? Because if you are, then a more effective strategy might be to alternate days so that some days you do the aerobics and then the walk. That way, you should be able to do 10 minutes of aerobics, maybe 15, and then less walking. Maybe the best is to look at the total duration of training and say that it's equal to 45 minutes - 30 minutes of walking, plus the aerobics. Or, 20 minutes of aerobics, plus the rest on walking.

But you'll find that it becomes easier and easier. Just back off on the intensity of the aerobics, focus on doing it easier but for longer, and you'll find it becomes routine in no time!

Ross