Question
Posted by: Sj | 2011/03/24

baby not sleeping

Hi my baby girl is almost 11 months old, she slept awsome until about 2months ago.

She then started to wake up at night for a bottle. it then went from 1 to 2 then to 3 bottles a night. i started giving her water so that she would not rely on the night bottles. we are now back down to 1 bottle and a juice bottle, but she still wont sleep she will just lie there and cry until i give her a bottle. I have tried sister lilians sleep rescue tablets before bed time. I went to the chemist and asked them for help regarding my sleepless nights they said that sometimes a baby lacking iron will have terrible sleep issues and they gave me liquid iron suppliment, i have been using it for a week and there is no improvement!!! my body feels like it is burning out. She only realy has one nap in the day for +- 2hours at lunch time, sometimes she will have a short +-30min nap around 4 - 5 pm. she eats healthy and loves her food so its not that she is staying hungry.

Please let me know if there is something else that i can try

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Smart kid! She has discovered that if she cries at night, this big powerful person will run around her, bring her yummy stuff, and generally do her bidding. That is ultimate power - just squeak, and the most powerful person you have met in your short life does your bidding! How cool is that!

No, this is probably not something you want to medicate. She needs to learn that, while it is OK to wake at night, it is not OK to wake the rest of the family.

There are many ways to do this, and the baby advice books are full of techniques.

My own favourite - not everyone's - is to go to the child, check that she is OK, get the yelling down to a sniff (not fully asleep), and then put her down and leave.

She will scream. Give her 3 minutes, and repeat the process. But next time you give her 6 minutes, the time after that 9 minutes, and so on. If she falls asleep and does it again later that night, you start again at 3 minutes.

For this technique, it helps if you are a bit deaf and have understanding neighbours.

Otherwise check in the advice books and you will find lots of similar ways to do it - some of them a lot less noisy.

She DOES need her nap during the day at this age - don't try to keep her awake in the hope she will sleep better at night - it will probably just make it worse.

And dont forget that she needs a routine - bed-time routine, day-time nap routine, and so on.

1
Posted by: Sleep expert | 2011/03/25

Reply to Sleep expert