Question
Posted by: Karlien | 2010/04/29

Baby not sleeping

Baby is turning 1y on 9 May and is still not sleeping through. Tried Lennon products, feeding him during night, not feeding him during night. He is eating real food presently and, based on advice, I''m giving him 1/4 protein (meat) during dinner, rest is starch &  veggie. Also started iron treatment (2mls after dinner). He sleeps well from 19h00 to 24h00 and thereafter wakes up approx every hour. Does not necessarily drink full bottle which tells me he is not really hungry. What else can I try? Why is he not going into deep sleep after 24h00 again ? Pls help.

Hallo Karlien
You have my sympathy - my eldest was just like this! Slept through the first time at 3 and half years :-(
First - get him examined thoroughly by a pediatrician, including urine test for infection. Ask the pediatrician to also please do a sonar to check for Urinary reflux even if the urine is clear - they normally don't if the urine doesn't show infection and this was my son's problem! If there are no medical problems, it may be behavioural. Try not to feed him every time he awakens, or just give dummy or water - you don't want him to "eat" right through the night! If necessary you can give him a feed when he wakes up at 24h00 to carry him over till 06h00. Don't jump up everytime he peeps, see if he doesn't go back to sleep if you leave him for a few minutes. It may also help to put him in his own room, it may be quieter for him and you will then also hear it only when he really yells. Make sure that he is warm enough and that his clothes are comfortable - beware of a scratcy tag in pajamas!
Get a friend or family member to take him at least once a week for the night so that you can get some rest. They also sometimes notice symptoms that you won't which may help with diagnosis of problem.
See http://raisingchildren.net.au/articles/baby_sleep_(two_to_12_months).html
Hope this helps!

3
Posted by: Karlien | 2010/04/30

Thank you Dr Bets. The more I try to find out, the more it seems that it might be behavioural (which is probably good news as it means nothing is really wrong with him .. ) I will also visit the website you suggested. K

Reply to Karlien
Posted by: annemariee | 2010/04/29

Try some lavender oil in his bath water , check and see weather his muscles arent sore , if so massage with arnica , my son is turning 2y on 07/06 and still doesn`t sleep through but we take each night at a time .( good luck )7

Reply to annemariee
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/04/29

Hallo Karlien
Hope this helps!

Reply to cyberdoc