Question
Posted by: Sarah | 2010/07/13

Baby Mentality

Does your baby feel it when you are down and not well?

Sounds like the title of a country-and-western song, doesn't it !
Babies, and children, are often sensitive to the moods of their parents and caregivers. Whereas a baby may simply feel you're not happy, she wouldn't understand what this meant ; an older child might recognize the mood and perhaps worry a bit about it.

2
Posted by: Purple | 2010/07/13

My child certainly did as a baby. If I was feeling a bit off, he would often be more clingy than usual. When he was a toddler and I got sick and was vomiting, he shouted at the toilet bowl not to hurt me.
Now that he''s six, if I get sick he will really baby me and mother me like I do to him when he''s sick, it is so sweet.
I think most babies do sense when we are sad or depressed or upset or feeling ill or worried or nervous and as they don''t know what is going on so they tend to cry more and cling to us more.
Sometimes they do this if they are getting sick though.

Reply to Purple