Question
Posted by: Miranda | 2010/06/24

Baby kicks

Hi Dr.
I hope you can help. My friend is almost 6 months pregnant and she has never been to a doctor or clinic. When she was 12 weeks pregnant she had a scan/sonar and she said she didnt see the baby''s legs on the monitor. I''ve advised her to do another scan or see a doctor but she refuses. I''m worried that all that stress (since she doesnt have support from the baby''s father) will be of no good to her and the baby.
The baby normally kicks, is it possible that the baby might be using his/her arms to make the kicking movement or can only use his/her legs

The only way to know if the baby's limbs are normal is to have a scan . Babies can 'kick'with differnt parts of their bodies.

2

Posted by: T | 2010/06/24

I think if there was a problem, whoever did the scan would have told her to see a doctor or that there were no legs. It is not something that you hide away from the mother!
Please try and pursuade her to go for another scan just to put her mind at ease as her worries also get passed on to the baby. I am 30 weeks pregnant at the moment and know that things can be worrying about the pregnancy, but better to have them checked out! She can even go to a government hospital i am sure for the scan! Good luck!

Reply to T