Question
Posted by: Fortunate | 2011/05/06

BABY FOOD

Please share ideas for a well-balanced baby home food. My son is 11 months, I give him mealie- meal porridge in the morning with margarine &  baby formula, fruity purity as a snack, for lunch and supper - mash potatoes or butternut with some kind of gravy, sometimes fish curry, bits of chicken or viennas. I recently thought of adding tuna and yogurt to his menu. Is this safe for his age?
Is he getting enough nutrition? What can I do to give him some veggies. He refuses cereal and vegetable purity.

Dear Fortunate
I must say that I am amazed that your son of 11 months already eats curry, which is quite a strongly flavoured food. He is actually eating a cereal if he has mealie meal porridge, so you don't have to introduce another cereal at this stage. Be careful of adding margarine to the mealie meal porridge and giving him high-fat foods like viennas, as this can cause excessive weight gain. You can certainly try your lad on tuna and yoghurt because if he is happy to eat fish curry then he can probably handle canned fish in small portions. Yoghurt is a good source of highly available calcium, so by all means see if he enjoys it. Please click on 'Diet'nFood' and search for articles I have written on weaning, namely "WEANING FOODS INFLUENCE THE REST OF YOUR CHILD’S LIFE " and "WHAT WEANING FOODS TO GIVE BABY" for additional information on weaning and introducing young children to eating a variety of solid foods, including fruit and vegetables. While you are on the 'Diet'nFood' site click on 'Eating throughout life' and 'Babies and kids' to access all the different articles I have written on the subject of infant and child nutrition.
Enjoy this time with your baby son - they are so special

2
Posted by: Fortunate | 2011/05/19

Thanks Doc. This helps.
U know Ive noticed that all yorgut in written from ages of 4yrs or 6yrs.
Is there a special brand or product that you can refer me to?

Reply to Fortunate

Dear Fortunate