Posted by: ciska | 2011-09-10

Baby ear ache and grommets

My baby is currently 11 months old. He has now had his second ear infection. It started 2 weeks ago. The doctor gave him Klacid P125. I did a Tympanogram, but recorded very little movement. The next doctor gave him Zithromax, a mixture between Covomycin drops and iliadin drops, but still my baby rubs his ears. We re-did the tympanogram: the left ear is better but the right ear remains almost the same. My doctor insists on grommets, but we have not heard anything good about it. What would you suggest we do? I heard a baby can go deaf from ear infection? No fluid is coming out, no excessive wax, no bleeding.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Ciska

Speak to your doctor regarding your worries re grommets. You may realise they are unfounded. If your child is repeatedly failing the tympanometry in one or both ears, his hearing and speech developement may be at risk.
The problem is due to fluid buildup behind the tympanic membrane, so nothing will run out.
Grommets are a brilliant solution to this problem, once all avenues of conservative management have failed. Please speak to your doctor again, or if you are still uncomfortable , get a second opinion.