Posted by: Cathy | 2009-03-07

Baby doesn' t sleep

My baby, now 6.5 months old does not sleep for much more than 30min on average, day or night. She very occationally does a stretch of max 1.5hrs, but that' s quite rare. She slept through from about 3wks till almost four months, now we don' t get much sleep at all. I' ve tried Ann Richardson' s Sleep sence, but have had no luck. I' ve tried Chloral Hydrate, prescribed by the Paediatrician, but only got her sleeping till 10pm then the usual 30min story. I' ve been prescribed Vallergan, but am worried that it is a S5 drug and I also don' t want her to become dependant on something to sleep. How safe is this drug? I' m now using Quietude, Rescue night &  Pegasus Sleep200. So far no luck! My older daughter also had sleep problems, but it' s eventually got better and at almost 3 she only wakes between 1 &  3 times a night. Do I really have to wait for my little one to " outgrow"  this? It' s really tough being an effective mum without any sleep...

Expert ImageSleep Expert

At this age, both for your child's health and for yours, she should be sleeping through. Medications are generally not especially useful in this situation, and the sleep training is usually the only way to go. Since you have already tried some of the techniques in books, and have seen your pediatrician, you probably need to find out from your GP where the nearest sleep centre is. They should be able to give you the name and contact details of someone who is skilled in the management of babies' sleep problems.

Posted by: Spokie | 2009-04-03

Hi Cathy &  Michelle

I also have a baby girl who does not sleep.

With my eldest the pediatrician prescribed " melatonin" . It is the natural hormone that your brain secretes to tell it that it is time to sleep. It worked wonders for Elke (eldest).

However, I am still trying it with baby.

Reply to Spokie
Posted by: Michelle | 2009-03-19

my son is 9 mnths old and is still not sleeping through the night, not even for half the night. i have tried rescue and other herbal meds, which are not helping. After running blood tests, his iron levels are abit low and he is on a supplement. He wakes up almost every 2 hours, is a very restless sleeper and most days only sleeps about 2 hours during the day. He is teething, but has been this way since birth. I am an my wits end. Any advice?

Reply to Michelle