baby diet

We' re about to start solids. Baby is 6 months old. Our family dietician told me not to add sugar to baby' s homemade food, however the rice cereal I was going to give baby (as his very first meal) contains cane sugar. Should I rather stick to first foods like butternut squash or sweet potato?

Dear Reader
I think that the dietitian meant that it is not really necessary to add anything (salt, sugar, butter, etc) to baby foods you prepare at home. Most babies are introduced to solids by giving them a little cereal (1-2 teaspoons to start with) mixed with a bit of milk or formula. If the baby cereal you have selected contains a lot of sugar, it may be a good idea to start your baby on homemade porridge which you can pass through a sieve to remove lumps. Add a bit of milk or formula to the homemade porridge to help baby swallow his first sold food. As he gets used to the porridge you can start offering him small quantities of pureed cooked vegetables such as sweet potato, butternut, carrots, etc. Also give him small quantities of peeled, liquidised fruits (apple puree, etc).