Posted by: Anon | 2008-12-11

Baby Born for a boy

This might seem an unusual question

My son is four years old an I'  m 29 weeks pregnant. Not only is he the only child (at the moment), he is also the only grandchild on either side of the family so obviously he is everyone'  s favourite

I don'  t want him to feel otherwise once the baby is here so I was thinking of giving him a '  gift'  when his sister arrives.

I was thinking of getting him the Baby Born doll (the little boy) so I can show him how to bath / change the nappy etc and that way he will feel part of ' having a new baby around' 

Don' t get me wrong. I just want to teach him to be gentle with the baby. Would it be wrong for me to give him a doll because he is a boy?

What is your opinion on this?

Sounds like a good idea. There's not a shred of evidence that boys are in any way bothered or damaged by exposure to dolls --- and your aim is to teach him about caring for others, which is an appropriate lesson for any child to learn. And the guys who sell Action Hero dolls seem to think its good for everyone !

Posted by: almost mad | 2008-12-12

I think its a good idea but perhaps try it with a action hero doll or teddy bear. As I would hate your sn to get teased when he at school about playing with dolls.

Reply to almost mad
Posted by: Me | 2008-12-11

My 2 yr old son has a dolly who he sometimes rocks to sleep and covers with a blanky. He also plays with his cousins barbies when we go there.
It teaches them empathy for others and how to care for others. He is a normal boy in every way and is active and loves his cars and bikes too. There is absolutely nothing wrong with giving a boy a doll.

Reply to Me
Posted by: Tsk tsk | 2008-12-11

The kid will adapt, for goodness sake, they ALWAYS do.

Reply to Tsk tsk
Posted by: Jane | 2008-12-11

Good Idea
when my friend had her christening party, i took a small truck for her 3yr old as well as a present for the baby. The kid was so happy just to get something for himself and a bit of attention, doesnt matter that it was a small cheap truck.

Reply to Jane