Question
Posted by: Rotti | 2010-08-20

baby and rottweiler

We have a 10 month old baby and just got a 2 month old Rottweiler male pup. I need some advice on the rottweiler and baby growing up together. Do I take the baby to classes with the dog. I don''t want the dog to be vicious with known people, just stangers. Is this possible?

Hi Rotti

As I do not know your Rotti's behaviour I would advise that you consult your dog trainer. The would be better qualified to answer your question.

4
Posted by: Rotti | 2010-08-23

Thanks for the comments. Sorry if I came across incorrectly. I should have used the positve...I want the dog to be friendly. But with people he doesn''t know yes rely on his instincts and protect. I thought that Rottweilers were generally vicious and you had to train them otherwise. I think the training is going to assit with his temperament. Thank for the advice!

Reply to Rotti
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010-08-23

Hi Rotti

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2010-08-20

I am concerned that you want the dog to be vicious with strangers, because not every stranger deserves to have his/her throat ripped out, if you know what I mean.

I think it''s a bad idea to take the baby to classes with the dog - the dog and you are there to learn, and the child will merely be in the way. The actual training of a dog gets done at home anyway, not once a week at training classes.

How dogs interact with people is only partly determined by their temperament - it is mostly determined by their upbringing and socialisation.

Please put all thoughts of making your dog ''vicious'' to strangers out of your head - doing that is simply playing with fire, and you can''t take the risk. Rely on the dog''s instincts to protect your family from threats - that should be quite adequate.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Melinda | 2010-08-20

We have a Rottie and he is such an odorable dog, he is aprox 2 years old and we have not yet had an insedent. I think you should take the child along for the classes, and also let the child interact with the pup as much as possible, but never alone.

Your Rottie will be good natured if you raise and treat him right, and he will be protective when it needs be.

So yes it will be possible

Reply to Melinda