Posted by: hestia | 2009-05-19

I am a 31 old. I am ready to have a baby and able to support her/him. the problem is that I am not in a relationship and still a virgin. Not by choice however I just not yet met the man to share it with me. What is my options and will it be unethical?

Dear Hestia

Your options on wanting to have a baby but are not in a relationship and therefore do not have a partner; your options in achieving a pregnancy would then be using donor sperm and artificial insemination. Whether this is unethical or not would simply depend on your religious beliefs and moral values.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Hi Hestia,

From a personal point of view, I don' t see why it is unethical to want a child. I used to believe that a child needs both parents. But over the years I have met single mothers &  they have such wonderful children. Is it unethical to adopt a child? Afterall this child was created for someone else?

I really think it all depends on individual choice. I think you' re a really strong woman to be able to say it out loudly that you want to be a single mum.

Good luck Hestia. I hope you are succesful.