Question
Posted by: Matty | 2008/06/18

Baby 19M Sleeping

I would like him to sleep through the night, he has 1 bottel at 12am 200ml and another at 4am 120ml. I want to take him of the bottels but what do i give him to last him through the night. Please help I have tried every thing from spagetti to bread and a Bedtime snack Milo, Horlicks ect.

Dear Matty
At the age of 19 months your son should no longer need to drink from a bottle and also not have bottles during the night because this can cause so-called 'baby bottle tooth decay". Try to wean him from the bottle so that he only drinks from a cup, both in the day and in the night. Then make sure that he has eaten his supper and is not thirsty, and that he has emptied his bladder before you put him down to sleep. If he wakes up, offer him clean water to drink, check if he needs to urinate and then tuck him up and tell him that it is night time and this is the time when people sleep. He may protest for a few nights, but if you persevere then he will soon understand that he is not going to get a bottle, milk or other snacks during the night and needs to sleep. You may find the first week or so quite stressful, but this is one time when you need to gently, but firmly introduce your son to sleeping through the night.

1
Posted by: Matty | 2008/06/26

Thank You very much!

Reply to Matty