Question
Posted by: Curious | 2008/07/09

Babies Starting Solids

Hi Cyberdoc

I am really concerned on the parenting forum one mom said she started her 6 week baby on solids. I posted a reply it was much too early! I breastfed my baby and only introduced solids after 6 months. I know for some it may seem a little late, however 6 weeks is too early don't you think. I think H24 should do an article about when to start solids, I know that Sister Lilian recomends when the baby gets first teeth as a good time. I also know that bottle fed babies may start solids earlier than breastfed babies. Their digestive systems are not fully developed to handle solids at 6 weeks.! One mom said Purity wouldn't have developed baby food if it wasn't good for babies. Years ago it was thought babies needed solids earlier and now days they have realised the later one starts solids, and then only one at a time, best fruit first, is better rather later than sooner. What is your view?

Dear Curious
The earliest I would give a baby solids is after 4 months, and then only supplementing with cereals if really necessary. A baby can easily only be on breastmilk up to 6 months. After that they start needing Iron from other sources and then you can start with vegetables and fruits. By 7-9 months they can start eating proteien foods too.

1
Posted by: curious | 2008/07/09

Cyberdoc I was reading on the website www dot babycentre dot co dot uk if one is not breastfeeding and can't wait for 6 months, solids shouldn't be started before the end of the 20th week (after four months) to prevent the chances of allergies etc. This is recomended by the Health Department in the UK

Reply to curious