Question
Posted by: Claire | 2012/09/25

Babies makes me feel bad

I had my son 7 years ago and for about the first 2 years I think I had some sort of depression, but i pulled myself together and I do not feel depressed anymore at all except when I see babies.
When I look at my son''s pictures from when he was a baby I get this absolutely dreadful feeling. It is the same when I look at someone else''s baby pictures or just a random picture in a magazine or the Internet. I cannot visit people which has a baby either. How it feels is hard to explain. Its almost like I am late for an extremely important appointment and have to leave immediately to get there.
2 years ago I went as far as to have myself sterilized and I still can''t bring myself to go off of birth control and I still have my husband wear a condom out of fear of becoming pregnant.
It is also starting to take a toll on my marriage.
Please advice would be appreciated because I don''t know what to do anymore.

Hi Claire,
As you may know, PND, some form of Post-Natal Depression is really common among women who have recently given birth. And this may be highly relevant to the start of this curious problem you reveal.
I'm sure there are more people than would care to admit it, who don't particularly like babies, especially other people's babies, but you're talking about something more, a sort of aversion accompanied by a really unpleasant feeling.
Where this goes beyond the usual is when you say that despite haing been sterlized, you continue to use birth control and insist that your husband wear a condom. I wonder whether the contraception you mention using might include the Pill, which can contribute to the start or maintenance of a depression, too.
I haven't come across this particular combination of concerns before, and wopuld suggest that it would be really useful for you to consult a good and experienced local psychiatrist for a thorough assessment ; maybe even with the assistance of a psychologist who could do some useful testing, as well.
This could be a variety of phobia or obsession ( as in OCD ) and should respond well to treatment, which might include the use of drugs ( some of those also used to treat depression could be helpful ) and also counselling / psychotherapy. Successfully dealing with this exaggerated response to what is in fact no longer any sort of risk for you, could surely most usefully enhance your personal happiness in yourself, and your marriage

1

Hi Claire,