Question
Posted by: BABE | 2010/03/05

BABE

hI

What is Borderline personality? Is it common in patients? do they also use cbt to treat borderline personality? Is it something like a negative mindset whereby they make you see that it''s all in the mind from a bad childhood, i think i got an idea. Pls explain to me.

Let's see. Borderline Personality Disorder is a complex variety of personality that causes problems, often more for other people than for the individual themself. The Americans recognize it more and pay more attention to it ; it is less recognizes and diagnosed in SA. Like other problem personalities ( and, indeed, non-problem personalities ) it is something one is born with, rather than being the result of any partiular type of childood or other experience.
A persistently and unhelpfull negative mindset does occur in many types of basic personality, and can indeed be the result of one's childhood expweriences, and does respond well to CBT.
I have not come across any reports of good results of using CBT in Borderline Personality, but then I haven't actually searched for this - it hasn't come to my attention.
SOmeone with a Borderline Personality can be very difficult indeed to treat in any sort of therapy, because of their charactweristic ways of behaving and relating to others. They tend to see people in extreme black and white terms, and to either decide that you are marvellous, or, next week, that you are awful. Borderline, fortunately is not very common, as a little goes rather a long way !
I suspect that what you may be thinking of is probably on the whole NOT Bordeline Personality, but something broader, and more common.

1