Question
Posted by: Nasser | 2011/09/16

Azoospermia

Dear Doctor

I am 35 yr old male, married for 6 years, but unable to father a child.
I had 2 sperm tests this year which indicated zero sperm.
My testosterone level was low (7.55), and LH (3.2) and FSH (6.8) was deemed normal. I was thus diagnosed as obstructive azoospermia.

2 years ago, we had IVF/ICSI done as I had then low sperm count and morphology.

My question thus: How is it possible that my ducts just closed up-
had no infection, mumps etc (that i am aware of)?
Is it possible that I am not making sperm because of the low testosterone and will be position change if testosterone levels improve?

We were advised on iVF/TESA

Thanking you

Dear Nasser

It is possible for damage or partially damaged tube to under go full obstruction at any time and this would thus then cause azoospermia. It is however possible that there could be now a production failure but the more likely reason look at your hormone profile would indicate an obstructive azoospermia. You have been given the correct advice to undergo IVF with TESA and this would definitely be the correct way forward. In the light of normal LH and FSH I don’t think the use of extra testosterone may make that much of a difference. In certain circumstances exogenous testosterone may worsen the condition.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011/09/21

Dear Nasser

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert