Question
Posted by: Maria | 2011/08/02

azoospermia

My brother, recently was diagnosed of azoospermia. He is 30 and married for about 14 months now. They had planned to have a baby only after a year and hence were following natural planning methods. Its been 2 months since they started trying for a baby. when he underwent a sperm test he was diagnosed to have a condition called azoospermia. I read the report and am trying to get some information. WHAT IS THIS CONDITION? WHAT CAUSES IT? DOES IT MEAN HE CANNOT HAVE A CHILD? IS THERE A CURE? WHAT MUST HE DO? He is a very active and energetic person. He smokes and drinks occasionally. Please clear my doubts so that I can guide him.

Dear Maria

Azoospermia is the absence of sperm in the seminal fluid. If there are no sperms in the seminal fluid then normal conception cannot take place. There are two causes for azoospermia, one is obstructive and the second is non-obstructive. In the case of non-obstructive azoospermia the problem lies in sperm production and in this particular case it may be difficult to help your brother. If however the cause is obstructive azoospermia then it is quite possible to achieve a pregnancy by retrieving sperm from a testicular biopsy. Sperm can then be used in an IVF/ICSI cycle. What your bother must do is to visit a urologist or preferably a fertility specialist so that bloods can be taken and a testis biopsy be performed.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011/08/11

Dear Maria

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert