Posted by: Eagle | 2009-02-20

My husband has been diagnosed with azoospermia. The Dr told us my husbnad has testicular failure. The makler count 02.X106ml. Please help with explaining what is this and what does it mean.

He had blood tests and these are the results LH- 3.5, FSH- 18.8, Testosterone 9.2, Free testosterone index 23.8 low, Free testosterone calc 0.21 low, sex binding hormone 38.60.

Based on these results is a testes biopsy recommended or is our only option to use donar sperm. I so hope that there is hope of getting sperm via a testes biopsy. Also what is the cost of a biopsy?

Thanks in advance.

Dear Eagle

The Makler chamber is used to count the number of sperms there are in a sample. If you have 0.2 on the Makler count that means you don’t have absolute azoospermia and that there are still some sperms that they could see. It would be advisable to have a testis biopsy and if any sperm is found at the time of the testis biopsy these sperms can be frozen to be used in an IVF cycle. The costs of a biopsy will vary from clinic to clinic but the approximate cost if it’s done under conscious sedation would be between R3000 to R5000 and if it is done in a hospital under a general anaesthetic you looking at probably around R10 000.

Answered by: Dr Y. M. Dasoo