Question
Posted by: Anonymous | 2011/11/14

Azithromycin and The Pill

Hi. I had the flu and took an antibiotic (Azithromycin 500mg) for 3 days. I have been on the pill (Diane-35) for a few months now. 5 days after completing my antibiotics course I had unprotected sex. It only only occurred to me afterwards that antibiotics stay in your system for a while afterwards. I''ve done endless internet searching and there are mixed views on whether or not this antibiotic could affect the efficacy of the pill (newer research seems to say it doesn''t). Please give me your opinion and let me know what the chances of pregnancy may be?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi A

Chances are relatively small (as you've read), but it can't be excluded 100%.
Not all antibiotics will significantly reduce the efficacy of oral contraceptives, but in general the rule is to "better be safe than sorry".

All the best.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2011/11/15

Hi A

All the best.

Reply to pharmacist