Question
Posted by: Pete | 2009-11-26

away from family

We currently live in Botswana, where my main business is, but we are going to move to Capetown to offer more opportunities for my wife and children. I will be in Botswana for 2 weeks and in Capetown for 2 weeks of the month. We thought about this very carefully and it is something that we have to make work. My question is: How will the fact that I will be away from them for 2 weeks of the month effect my children? My son is 2 years and my daughter is 3 years old.

HOw it affects you and your wife will probably be the main determinant of how it affects your children, especiall at the age they are. Children tend to be remarkably resilient, IF their parents or those around them, seem to be taking things calmly and as though this was normal. If the parents seem to be struggling to cope, the kids understandably get bothered and upset. Enjoy this new pattern, and see it as a good opportunity, and the kids will probably do likewise

1