Question
Posted by: KOOS | 2010/03/15

AVERSION TO RANK

Dear CyberShrink - ever since I can remember I had an aversion to any rank or position of power especially when the bearer or holder thereof hides behind such rank or position. What is the description/name/diagnosis of this aversion in order for me to read more about it and research it on the internet. Thank you.

I know what you're talking about, though I haven't seen it given a special name. Some of us resent some of the behaviours of others when they are in authority, but I'm not sure what search terms would be best for you to use. Time for some creative googling - and let me know what you find its the best term

3
Posted by: Gracie | 2010/03/15

I am one of the managers in our firm and I have an aversion to people who are on a " power trip" , like one of my colleagues, also a manager. She likes to say " do you know who I am"  and then I feel like being a jerk and asking other people around her if they can perhaps assist her and she seems to be having an indentity crisis ... take it from who it comes .... some people take their positions in a company far too seriously!

Reply to Gracie
Posted by: Purple | 2010/03/15

I think its called not suffering fools gladly.

Seriously though, I was told as a school girl that I had a problem with people in authority, I''ve been told it at work too. I find that if someone is deservedly in their position, is not a bully and is worthy of respect, I don''t feel contemptuous towards them.
However, if they strut around like bantam -|- rells or need to call themselves " general"  or whatever, and demand that people " respect"  them, I feel just like you do. Mostly I just stay out of their way, but while at high school I was rather outspoken and would provoke them till they blew up - it was an amusing past time. Sometimes it just took asking questions on what we were learning to get the blow up, as they truly couldn''t answer as they didn''t know their subject.

Reply to Purple