Question
Posted by: Sybbi | 2008/06/23

Average weight of 4 year old

Dear Doc

Please advice on the avearge weight of a 4 year old girl, turning 5 in September. My daughter is overweight at 20 kg, we are trying to cut out sweets, chocolates and fast food and going for walks twice a week and to the park on weekends. Our dr said we should try it for a month or so and if no difference we should take her to a dietician. Please give me the avearge weight for 4-5 year old. thanks

Dear Sybbi
I am a bit puzzled why you say your lassie is overweight, because the average weight for 4 to 5-year-olds is about 20 kg with an average height of 1.12 metres. Or do you mean she is 20 kg more than that (e.g. 40 kg??). If she is still very short for her age then weighing 20 kg may make her inclined to overweight. It is in any case, a good idea to cut out all sweets, chocolates, high-fat foods esp fatty snack foods, and all cold drinks if your daughter is overweight. If feasible take her for a walk every day and encourage her to be as active as possible.
Hope this helps

2
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/02/26

My girl is 12kg and eats normal,she is four years of age,is she underweight?

Posted by: Zexeon | 2008/06/23

You would have to take her lenght into consideration before deciding if your girl is overweight. The 50th centile for weight is approx. 17.5kg and 50th centile for height is approx. 101.5cm. She ough to have another immunsation at about four and a half at your peadiatrician in the meantime a well balanced diet and a sweet over the weekend ough to be fine. Fruit/a half of a low GI fruit bar/200ml deluted juice could be used inbetween meals for snacks You could also present a bit of milk with food as it lowers the GI index of the food.

Reply to Zexeon