Question
Posted by: Meg | 2008/06/04

Autoimmune disease and what now?

Hi, i am 28 and I have just been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease - my antibody count specific to autoimmune was 250 times higher than the max limit. I have a lot of trouble in the mornings just getting the strenght to get up. I have been referred to a rheumatologist - i am very concerned about going onto chronic drugs. I have read about glucosamine sulfate 1500 mg which rebuilds cartilage and reduces joint pain and inflammation. I started taking it a few days ago and I am making gradual improvements - nothing dramatic.

Is it necessary to visit the specialist? Will I be hurting myself if i take the glucosamine for 3 months and then see the rheumatologist? I am mainly afraid of taking painkillers and becoming dependent on them.

I have started yoga again and am trying to rebuild my strength. I am reducing dairy intake and increasing my omega 3 intake through fish, avos etc. I believe citrus is also to be avoided. Are these on the right track?

Expert ImageArchive

Hello Meg,
Your autoimmune disease needs immediate attention from your rheumatologist so you understand the full extent of your condition.

I would also strongly suggest that you consult a well qualified nutrionist so your body chemistry is managed in a natural way and it is specific to your condition. Omega fish oils are always a benefit.

I would also suggest you see your local osteopath.

Dr Ashburner Osteopath