Question
Posted by: Roger | 2010-11-22

Austell-setraline

I am on a lot of meds, and never have had a problem with generics before.

My partner has recently been put on setraline, I priced it out and the austell was half the cost of the other generics

I also take sertaline, but it is covered under chronic, so I am not so worried about brands - I take sertzol

I went to the pharmacy and asked about the austell, and they said it was a substandard product that they didn''t stock, and that they recommended the more expensive generics

Do you think this is a valid comment, or are they just trying to sell us the more expensive medication?

PS. in a previous question I was asking about vomiting as a potential side affect of my various psychiatric drugs i am on, turned out to be reflux, and brought about by coughing from my blood pressure tablets

Sertraline. According to the relevant laws and regulations, ALL generic products must contain the identical chemical to the more expensive versions, and must also match them in other ways - to dissolve as fast and as completely, and so on. So they should be effectively equivalent.
I don't know the Austell company, but they have a website at www.austell.co.za, where you might want to check and should be able to ask questions. They even seem to have a blog.
Trying it, I see the site is under what it calls a re-design, and is not functioning at present ( hardly re-assuring !) and they are based in Joburg.
There ought to be no "substandard" generics, and if the pharmacy is confident that this company's products are faulty, in any way, it is their ethical and legal duty to report this to the proper authorities. Now, where a pharmacy's fees are a percentage calculated acording to the actual cost of the drugs, of course, they might have a temptation to recommend the most expensive generics they can find. I hope that's not what was going on.
Thanks for the feedback on your earlier question. Its always wise to think about possible side-effects with a new symptom, but of course, whatever your health problems or medications, this doesn't prevent you from mdeveloping other common conditions !

1