Posted by: Mommy | 2011-08-02

Aurone and Grommets -URGENT PLEASE

Is Aurone eardrops safe to use while the grommets are still in place as I know not all drops are safe.

My 18 month old has a bad middle ear infection that is draining from the grommets and the GP gave aurone drops but when I put it in she went mad with pain and screamed untill she fell asleep. I am worried if I should give the second administration in 2 hours or not?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Mommy

The safe rule is to consult the doctor that prescribed the medication if any such problems occur. The only drop currently registered on the market for safe use in patients with grommets, is called Cilodex. Certain other drops, although not used often, may sometimes be used in certain circumstances. I would rather you first speak to your GP before continued use. The drops are clearly causing pain, and no eardrop should do that.