Question
Posted by: Thrisha | 2011/08/10

Aura every day

I have been suffering with migraines for about 12 years now. I pretty much had it under control, but in the last few months it seemed to have gotten worse. For over 3 weeks I have been getting the aura effect on a daily basis, following by a pain in the right eye and head. I have been seeing a physio quite often but cannot seem to get rid of this. I have had a headache for a few months now, I am not sure what it feels like to have no headache or perfect vision. Everything is too bright. Today my physio tells me that I have a pinched nerve in my back when I went to see her about a back pain that seems to be affecting my right arm. Is this related to the headaches? I am not sure what sort of doctor I need to see, or what tests need to be done to confirm this. Any sort of advice will be great.
Thanks alot.
Thrisha

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Trisha,

There is only one way to get rid of your migraine, and that is to find out why you are getting them. It does not help to give a name to something if the name doesn’t explain where the pain is coming from. Migraine can certainly be successfully treated, but to get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2011/08/12

Dear Trisha,

Reply to Headache expert