Question
Posted by: EL | 2008/07/30

August - Let' s do something good.

Well, to start at the beginning, we do home school. After having a lengthy discussion in the learning centre about the consequences of human usage af materials, chopping down of life giving forests and the ongoing human demand for more and more, some decisions have been taken. My daughter, now 12 years of age, decided that we are killing the earth with our laziness. She made me buy large bins and a whole recycling system has been set up, very neat! Nobody is allowed to throw any tins, glass bottles, paper of plastic things in our normal garbage bins. No, instead it must be recycled. We are fortunate that there is recycling bins in the estate where we are busy building, and my daughter keeps us disciplned in taking her collection to these bins.

When my son put out the garbage for collection, we noticed the following. we used to put out 4 - 5 bags, now, he puts out 1 or 2. Yes, he is very happy. His work is less. We also realized that all our neighours are putting out a lot more than us. Conclusion: by recycling we not only re-use instead of needing more resources, we also have less garbage that has to be burned. The ilimination of garbage sets of gases that is most harmfull to the earth' s atmosphere. SA is not very active in saving earth in this way, whereas countries like Australia and Germany, amongst others actually fine their citizens for not recycling.

My daughter, well, she is part of saving the trees that the earth need and that by putting stuff in seperate bins. If only other South Africans would take this seriously, we can make a difference. We can limit damage done to our planet by starting in our own country. We must all be like children and take some action.

I hope this will be an inspiration for more South Africans to do just the same.

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

One of the most hopeful trends recently is how members of the younger generation - the generation who will really be in the thick of the environmental crisis in a few decades' time - is stepping up to the plate and putting the rest of us to shame.